Written by: D Evans

The fortifications completed

Napoleon massed another invasion army in the summer of 1801. This was to be a more seriously prepared attempt: in March he wrote to the Minister of Marine for information about the length of time it would take to assemble a hundred gunboats at Boulogne, and further information about the craft available. On March 13 he instituted the organisation of these boats into a flotilla whose crews were always to be on board and ready. Mercer responded by putting forward suggestions for further work on the defences. The Secretary of the Board replied on May 14th "I have received and submitted to the Lieut General and Board Your Letter of the 10th Instant, reporting Your Opinion upon the Defences of the Berry Head and of what is wanting, particularly to the Line embracing the Berry Head, and the Redoubt No.1 for Security and better Defence: and I am directed to desire you will proceed to carry into Effect the several Services which you represent to be necessary for completing the Works described in your Letter into a state of Defence taking care not to exceed your Estimate of the Expence of such Services which you state to be £580." [69]

Lt.General John Simcoe had been appointed to command the Western District on January 9 1801. He wrote to the Commander in Chief (the Duke of York) on July 28 urging the completion of the defences:

"I am so forcibly impressed with the propriety and necessity of establishing the Fortresses of Pendennis and Berry Head without delay that, I trust Your Royal Highness will permit me to state to You the reasons that lead to this opinion....Berry-Head has much of the quality of Pendennis ; as in some measure protecting the great commercial and Naval Anchorage of Torbay, and secondary to Plymouth (the great Arsenal of the West of England) may be made the Arsenal of Devonshire - The present and future situation of this Country, in my most humble opinion, calls for the proper completion of the Fortress of Berry-Head, and the occupation of Pendennis in the most judicious manner." [70]

The Duke of York concurred with Simcoe on this matter, as is shown by the preservation of a letter written from the Horse Guards on August 13 by the military secretary, Col. Brownrigg to Lt.Col.Hadden, secretary to the Master General of the Ordnance, telling him on the Commander in Chief's orders to lay Simcoe's proposals, which were now set out in book form, before the Master General.[71] This document does not appear to have survived, but a letter of October 7 from Simcoe to Lt.General Morse, the acting Chief Engineer (who the next year was to be appointed the first Inspector-General of Fortifications) shows that it included plans for rendering the fort useless to the enemy should it have to be abandoned : "In regard to Berry Head in the copy of your letter which I have received, the Word Flank is mistaken for Tank. It was the Tank, should the place be dismantled, that would be necessarily destroyed, as the distance from Water would preclude any Enemy from maintaining themselves in the works of Bury [ sic ] Head, unless by means of the Tank or Cistern." [72]

Men of the 1st Devonshire Militia returned to Berry Head the next month, an order of November 21 1801 from the Plymouth Dock Barracks reading : "A Detachment Consisting of Capt 1 Sub 2 S 4 D 2 R & File 100 from the E Devon Militia will be in readiness to March to Berry Head on Tuesday Morning next agreeable to a Route that will be given them. This Detachmt will furnish a Guard to the Naval Hospital at Penton Consisting of Sub 1 S 2 D 1 & R & File 40." They marched on the 24th,, but their period of duty at the Naval Hospital was extremely brief : an order of the 26th. reads "The Guard at the Naval Hospital at Painton to be relieved by a Detachmt. of Marines from H.M.Fleet.

M.Genl England [the Commander of the Plymouth Garrison] will be pleased to make any Alterations in the Numbers detached from Plymo Garrison to Berry Head as He shall think Proper.

The Garrison at Berry Head & the Dragoons at Modbury & Totness are to Report unto M.Genl.England untill further orders." [73]

The Board decided in the spring of 1802 to finish the forts, with some minor omissions. Mercer received a letter dated March 5 asking him to prepare a set of estimates.

"....There are....two Articles....which, if not yet completed, The Master General and Board desire may be postponed. One at the Berry Head, Torbay amounting to £580... .These Works consisting principally of Palisading and Fraizing, which are very expensive having been ordered under the Impression of guarding against an Assault, may, in the Opinion of the Master General and Board, now be dispensed with : and as His Lordship and the Board considered the present to be a very proper Time to complete the Works at Torbay upon a permanent Construction, I am directed to desire you will prepare and transmit an Estimate of the Expense of finishing these Works according to the original Project, unless you have any Alterations to recommend.

I am further to acquaint you that the Master General and Board agree with you in Opinion upon the Necessity of taking up and putting under Cover the Palisades lately planted at the Berry Head, as well the Wooden Palisades in general, which They desire may be done as soon as the Guns and Carriages are withdrawn and upon all the permanent Works hereafter His Lordship and the Board are of Opinion Stone Platforms should be layed." [74] At the time negotiations were taking place which led to the Peace of Amiens on March 25; this would provide the opportunity for the withdrawal of the guns. Mercer then costed out the work, in a memorandum "Estimate of the Expence to complete the Works at the Berry Head, Torbay, agreeable to the original Project of his Grace the Duke of Richmond." This, taken in conjunction with the documents reproduced above, shows how far the construction had advanced by the date of writing, April 3 1802.

"To Complete the Demi Bastion No.l. on the Berry Head.

4M Rod Cube of Rubble Work in Mortar to complete Counterscarp Wall

at 90.0 p Rod

21  7  6

965 feet Supr of Rough Knobling on face of Do

at 0.3 p ft

12  1  3

35 ½ Rods Cube of Rubble Work in Garde Foux

at 90.0 p Rod

159 15  0

7403 feet supr of Rough on face of Do.

at 0.3 p.ft.

92 10  9

3800 yards Cube of Rock & Rubbish to be excavated, removed & formed to complete the Glacis 1000 yards Do of Do to complete Terreplein Banquetts and Ramps

at 2.0 pr yd.

480  0  0

765 14  6

Add £10 per cent for Contingencies

76 11  5

842  5 11

To Complete the Line no .3.

36 ¼ Rods cube of Rubble Work in Mortar to complete Counterscarp Wall

at 90.0 pr Rod

163  2  6

5733 feet superficial of rough Knobling on face of Do

at 0.3 pr foot

71 13  3

109 ½ Rods Cube of Rubble Work in Mortar to complete the Garde Foux or Line of Musquetry with Redans

at 90.0 pr.Rod

492 15  0

16957 feet superficial of rough

Knobling on face of Do

at 0.3 pr ft

211 19-3

4000 yards Cube of Earth and rubbish to be Excavated and removed for forming the Parade

at 1.0 pr yd.

200  0  0

2298 Yards Do of Excavation for walls of Garde Foux forming Banquetts and for Levelling and Dressing the whole of the Interior

at 2. 0 Do

229 16  0

15146 2/3 Yards Cube of loose Rock and Rubbish to be Excavated filled in and Leveled in Glacis

at 1.6 Do

1136  0  0

To Scarpe and give more security

to the Flanks

100  0  0

Add £10 per cent for Contingencies

260 10  7

2865 16  7


£3708 - 2 - 6

Original Estimates for the Demi Bastion no.2, which has not been proceeded with [breakdown of figures given here]

£10721 14 7¾

[This was for the defences alone. The cost of the buildings would have been]

One Barrack as at No.1

339 - 2  11

One Kitchen

133  13   6½

One Expense Magazine

384  14   3½

One Reservoir

174   1  7½


77 - 3   8 ½

Guard House

189 - 9 - 0


£2019 19  8 ¼

On a Supposition that the whole Flank of this Demi Bastion was to be Casenated, agreeable to His Grace the late Master General's Plan and Section, the Expence would be increased ( as pr Estimate transmitted to him on 19th Novenber 1794 ) by the sum of

5450  0  8

As also by a very considerable difference between the Price of Brick Work at the Time this Estimate was made, and the Price at present….

1092  0  0

Estimate of No.4 Line, not begun [ the breakdown given shows this would have been largely earthworks ]

318  4  2


£22583  7  0¾

Estimate of the Expence to erect a Couvre Port at the Line no 3. [breakdown of figures given here ]

£1374 19  4


War was declared again in May 1803, and the most serious invasion threat of all now followed. The boats which had been earmarked for the attempts of 1798 and 1801 were now mostly in a very bad state, and a new armada of purpose-built ships was constructed. This time some 150,000 troops were concentrated, and the expeditionary headquarters was established at Boulogne.

This renewed crisis produced a spate of legislation to strengthen the national defences. Fox described the Army of Reserve Bill as "the first measure which I could, consistently with my own opinion, come down to support, being a measure for the defence of the country." He did not look to "the regular army, but the mass of the country; acting, not in single regiments, but the great mass of armed citizens, fighting for the preservation of their country and their families…"

Under the provisions of the Levy en masse Act a census was made of all men between the ages of 17 and 55 with the exception of the infirm, ministers of religion, doctors, Quakers and those already serving, who were divided into four classes: between 17 and 30, unmarried, or with no child under ten; between 30 and 50, unmarried, or with no child under ten; between 17 and 30, with not more than two children under ten; and all others.

The first three classes could be compelled to undergo military training if sufficient volunteers were not forthcoming. Those giving false returns were to be fined £25, and those attempting to bribe the census taker £50. Parishes were directed to provide weapons at their own expense, and the men were to be drilled at least for two hours a week, and more if necessary.

Patriotic enthusiasm, however, had its limits, and in Devonshire Lord Rolle was severely tried at this time. In the words of the brief later drawn up for him, "On [Woodbury] Common his Lordship has many plantations and it is skirted by his Woods and Coppices, and is in the immediate neighbourhood of his family seat at Bicton...This common had been the Object of Notice to his Lordship's Family for many Generations, & his present Lordship was extremely attached to it and had intended by building cottages &c to render it an Object of Rural Beauty and Improvement but Lieut.General Simcoe from some motives of ill will known only to himself we believe in the Year 1803 fixed on this very Spot for the purposes of an Encampmemt."

Rolle had been prepared for some land of his to be used, assuming that his own regiment would then be encamped there; but his South Devon Militia were marched to Cornwall in August and the very next day the camp was set up, to the great annoyance of his family and the loss of considerable quantities of game. The matter did not end there. The next year Simcoe proposed to camp there again, but was compelled by the Lord Lieutenant and others to place on the alternative, and in Lord Rolle's view far superior, site of Aylesbeare Hill. In 1805 Simcoe again intended to camp on Woodbury, though offered Aylesbeare again by Rolle, and was notified that he would be prosecuted for trespass if he did so. The camp was duly established, and Rolle took legal advice. [76] In the meanwhile some changes had been proposed to the gun emplacements at Berry Head. On October 8 1803 a letter was sent from Berry Head by the Colonel of the Royal Miners (the popular name of the Cornwall & Devon Miners Artillery Militia) to a Captain Elphinstone, who was the commanding Engineer at Plymouth in Mercer's absence :

"Corporal Jone, R.A. has informed me that two 24 pndr Carriages are unserviceable, & desires me to report it to you, I beg leave to mention at the same time that some covers are wanting for the Bellows at different Batteries

When Col. Seward was here, he fixed on a Point where he wished to have a Gun on a Travelling Platform, & thought that many Guns might be brought from the outward Batteries if the remainder were mounted in that manner. Mr.Gillett has not the Model, & also wishes for your order, I should think myself Obliged if you would mention the Business to Col S. & give the Directions accordingly." [77]

On November 21 and 29 there are references to quantities of timber being shipped from Plymouth [78] and the defences were largely complete by the summer of 1804, when Mercer sent the following memorandum, dated July 3, "General State of the Works in the Western District" to the Board of Ordnance.

"Torbay - The Sea Batteries are well armed, & in a good State.

No.3, or Line, of the Berry Head, has a good, and entirely Revetted Escarp, with a strong Palisade in Front - It is well Armed, and Capable, with a proper Garrison, of resisting any Assault, and of forcing the Enemy to Break Ground, and to bring up Heavy Guns and Mortars - The Flanks, of this Line, have been lately secured by Scarping, and we are proceeding with the Garde Foux and Line of Musquetry upon both Flanks. No.1 Redout has a good Ditch and Escarp, and is in a State to be defended, provided a Garrison is given of about 200 men." [79]

The barrack accommodation was also being expanded. One John Scoble was paid £3150 for this work in 1804. [80]

The crisis continued. In August, on his birthday, Napoleon reviewed eighty thousand troops of the Army of England at Boulogne in a spectacular ceremony. By September the invasion flotilla stood at 1099 vessels.

Units of the 1st Devonshire Militia were ordered to Berry Head from Plymouth Dock again on September 24: "A Detachment from the 1st Devon Militia consisting of Captn 1 Subt 2 Sgts 3 Cpls 3 Dms 2 Privates 50 will March on Wednesday Morning next the 26th instant to Berry Head, to do Duty there until further notice. -

The Captain Commanding the Detachment will report his arrival at Berry Head to Lieut Colonel Lorack A.A.G. at Exeter, for the information of Lieut General Simcoe whose orders he is to recieve.

The Lieut General states that he is in hopes in a short time to Garrison that fortress with a Detachment of the Volunteer Force.

A Route will be this day sent by Major of Brigade Nixon to the Officer Commanding the 1st Devon Militia, for the March of this Detachment...

Capt Pitman, Lt.Watson, & Ens.Willett, are the Officers for the Detachmt to the Berry Head..." [81]

The danger of imminent invasion was fully realised. On September 29 General Simcoe wrote to Mercer: "I shall hope to see you in a few days,.,.and to talk very seriously on the State of Plymouth - I was in hopes some efficient Plan of Fortification would have been adopted - The Second Act of Bonopartes preparation will soon Commence, and Spain and Cherburg will present a more formidable Aspect than the Trash collected at Boulogne." [82]

On December 31 the Board sent some observations on the state of the batteries to General Morse, noting that at Berry Head "The Brigade of Field Artillery is exposed to the weather for want of sheds" - Morse was asked to write to Mercer for a report on the best means of providing them. [83] This simple task took some time to perform; on August 9 1805 he was asked to "...cause the Five 24 Pounder Gun Carriages at the Berry Head requiring repair to be repaired by...Artificers" [84] and it was not until October 11 that the Board wrote to Morse that they approved of Mercer's plans and wished him to proceed to erect Field Train sheds at Berry Head, Plymouth and Pendennis. [85]

Mercer wrote to the Inspector-General of Fortifications on October 13 1805 : "By the Mail Coach of this day, You will receive a small Box containing Plans, & Estimates, of the Sheds, proposed to cover the Field Train, Waggons, &c; at this Place [ Plymouth ], at the Berry Head, & Pendennis Castle....

In the Plans, proposed for the Berry Head, & Pendennis Castle, I have considered the very exposed Situation of both Places - But, as nothing is yet Ordered to be done, at those Points, the Plans are open to such Remarks, and Alterations, as you may think proper to make." [86] Morse replied on the 15th : "I have no doubt the Plans proposed are well calculated for the purpose and I have to desire you will Cause the same to be proceeded upon.." [87]

By this time, as a consequence of the failure of the French navy to execute Napoleon's designs to secure the Channel for the safe passage of his invasion fleet ( which now comprised 2343 boats ) the Emperor had marched the Army of England (now the Grand Army) to Austria for his brilliantly successful campaign there. On October 21 Trafalgar removed the threat of invasion, and the tension began to ease.

In June 1806 some of the gun platforms-were in need of repair: [88] work was still taking place there the year after as a document of May 20 1807 allows 10% extra for materials and labour there. [89]

The outstanding deficiency at Berry Head after these ancillary sheds had been provided was the lack of a Hospital building. The Board wrote to Morse about this on April 18 1808. [90] He asked Mercer to locate a suitable spot. The available space within the forts had now been filled, and Mercer notified the Board of Ordnance on April 23 1808 that he had selected a site outside the fortifications:


I acknowledge the receipt of Your letter of the 3rd inst, with its enclosures, and have to state, for the information of General Morse, that a Situation, for a Hospital, cannot be given within either of the Works at the Berry Head, as the Defences are already Choked by Barracks, & Buildings, of every description - I however transmit a rough Sketch of a part of the Ordnance Lands, in Advance of the Berry Head, upon which I have Marked a Situation for the proposed Hospital - And this Spot may be given up to the Barrack Department, for that purpose, without Injury to the Service - The Situation is, in all respects, Eligible, as it is in a Valley between the 4 and 3 Gun Batteries, and from 50 to 100 feet under all the Lines of Fire -And another advantage is, that any Aspect may be given to the Front of the Building." [91]

The wooden bases for the 3 and 4 gun batteries were finally replaced by stone ones in 1809. This involved some friction between Mercer and the contractor: on February 15 Mercer wrote to the Secretary of the Board -


Having in my last year's Estimates found it necessary to provide new Moorstone Platforms for the 3 & 4 Gun Batteries at Berry Head Torbay, & a continued Platform for the Battery at Furzham, in lieu of the old wood one, which was totally decayed; an order in consequence was given by me on 17th May last, to Mr Isbell, late Master Mason, in this Division, for providing & laying them. His reasons for so doing, are stated in his Letter, which accompanies this, & upon which I am not aware of the mode that the Board would wish me to procure, I so request their Directions.

And here I beg leave to state, that as the Estimate originally framed for this Service, was Monied at Mr Isbell's Price for Gun Platforms laid, which is certainly very inadequate for the Purpose, it will be impossible for them to be laid by the Office without incurring a considerable Expense above the Estimate ; probably not Less than 4d p foot superficial. However as the Batteries in question are at present in a useless state, it becomes necessary for them to be laid by one or the other."

Mercer enclosed Isbell's letter of February 10:


Being informed that it is expected that I would proceed to lay the moorstone Gun Platforms, which I have delivered on the Batteries on the Berry Head & Furzham, I humbly beg leave to observe that on receiving orders to provide the same, I used every possible Dispatch, but owing to the scarcity of vessels, &c - &c a Delay unavoidably arose but which it was out of my power to prevent...My contract was put an end to by the Rt Honble Board on the 30th Septr last past, & I trust that it will not be expected that I shall lay the Platforms at Berry Head & Furzham, which would cause a very serious Loss to fall on me, in addition to what I have already sustained by delivering Stone on the Spot, the distance from the Water Side to which is great, & the road leading thereto being very bad; and as in my late contract with the Rt Honble Board there are two Prices, one for "Platforms Laid" and another "not laid" I humbly hope that there will be no objection to my availing myself of the former Price, and declining the latte." [92] The Board replied on the 17th that Isbell should be compelled to lay the platforms at contract price, and a copy of this was forwarded to Isbell. Ho answer had been received from him by March 10. [93] It is not known how the affair ended.

On March 7 the Clerk of the Works at the Plymouth office wrote to Gillett that a complaint had been made about the condition of the magazine. It was alleged "that the Magazine at Berry Head is in a very damp State, & that if some remedy is not speedily adopted, the Powder will be all will, so soon as possible, particularly Examine into the State of the Magazine in Question....But as the General is not aware that it can possibly be in the state represented; He desires you will particularly inquire whether the Person in Charge of the Powder has taken the precaution of frequently rolling the Barrels, which, it is apprehended, will be of essential Benefit to the Powder." [94]

At this time the Board conceived the idea of planting walnut trees on suitable areas of Ordnance land, the Plymouth office receiving this directive on February 9. "I have it in Command to desire you will immediately report to the Board whether there is any & what quantity of Land belonging to the Ordnance at Plymouth, upon which Walnut Trees could be planted..." They also asked for information about local nurseries and prices. [95] A reply was sent on the 21st : "...The whole of the ordnance land on Berry Head Torbay, is an Entire Rock of Limestone, occupied by No.3, the Lime embracing the Berry Head; no. 1...Redout upon the Left Flank, & the Glacis of both - This therefore, if the soil was proper for Planting Trees, of any Description, cannot be recommended - But in advance there is a small valley, occupied by some broken Fields, and here, we are of opinion, that Walnut Plants might Thrive as Plants only, but that, from not having a sufficient Depth of Soil, with a substratum of Lime Stones, they would not Grow to Timber of Scantling - Should The Board however think it advisable, this spot will contain about 260 Plants without obstructing Defence." [96] Walnuts were certainly planted at Pendennis in response to this request, whatever the outcome may have been at Berry Head.

Nothing had been decided hastily about the hospital, and after an exchange of correspondence the Board sent a letter to Mercer on March 10 1809 asking for a report on the best situation. Alternative views had been expressed, and Mercer replied on the 19th " reasons for Chusing that Situation were; because, being about 100 feet below all the Lines of Fire, it Obstructed no defence.." [and was also sheltered from the weather. Brig .General Browne had chosen another spot, which was in the line of fire of Redoubt No.1] [97]

On September 30 Morse wrote to Mercer asking, in response to a Commission of Enquiry, what buildings had been erected in the Plymouth Division since January 1, 1805. Mercer's reply of October 10, when referring to Berry Head, only names the Artillery Shed, which had been constructed under his superintendence for £698.13.11¾ . [98]

A letter from the Assistant Inspector-General of Fortifications, Lt.Col.Rowley, to Mercer's office of October 13 introduces the name of Roger Hyne into the story for the first time, and shows that the construction of the Hospital was about to commence.


Mr Roger Hyne, of Brixham, having stated to The Board of Ordnance, by letter dated the 11th Instant, that he has engaged to build an Hospital at Berry Head, for the Commissioners for the Affairs of Barracks, on a Piece of Ground pointed out by Lt General Mercer, Commanding Royal Engineer in the Plymouth Division, and having in consequence request to receive The Board's Permission to quarry Stones, build a Small Lime Kiln and to dig Sand, on the Land where the said Hospital is to be erected ; -I am commanded to acquaint you therewith, and to signify the Board's Desire, that you will require from Lt General Mercer, an Opinion whether the Request...may be granted without Detriment or Inconvenience to the Service of the Ordnance." [99]

Mercer replied on the 16th giving his permission, and a Board letter of the 23rd made the official confirmation. The Inspector-General's office wrote to Mercer on the 25th to inform him [100] and on the 28th Mercer sent the fallowing letter to Gillett at Berry Head. -

"You will inform Mr. Roger Hyne that he has the Board's permisssion to Quarry Stone, Dig Sand, and erect a small Lime Kiln, near the Spot, pointed out by me, on which to erect a Barrack Hospital - The spot is upon the low ground between the 4 Gun Battery, & the Horse Shoe Battery.- And you will take care that the Service of The ordnance is not injured by the grant." [101] Presumably Mercer designed the Hospital as well as the fortifications.

The Board appear to have been considering extending their land holdings in the area at this time, as on November 9 they requested information on "what manner the Common at Berry occupied, and by whom." [102] This is consistent with their writing on November 15 "...Mr Furze of Brixham has been informed, in answer to a proposal he has made, to rent the land described, that the Board have no Intention of letting the same." [103] On December 21, in a listing of foreign timber required for works in 1810, 20 feet of Fir and 20 3 inch x 12 feet of yellow Deal are specified for Torbay, probably for the Hospital. [104]

After some fifteen years in residence, Mr.Gillett was at last moved from Berry Head in 1810. On January 13 Ben Johnson, the Clerk of Works at Plymouth, wrote to him : "I am directed by Lieut.General Mercer to acquaint you, that you are to hold yourself in readiness to remove from the Berry Head to the Royal Artillery Depot near Exeter, in order to superintend such Repairs as may occasionally be wanting at that Place..." The order to leave came on the 17th; everything was left in charge of the Foreman, Johnson's brother. [105] Gillett died on October 26; he had spent some twenty years living on wind and rain-swept sites, first at Maker and then at Berry Head.

The Board were notified on March 20 that some repairs were required: "...a new Lock and some trifling Repair to the Magazine at the Redout No.1, and to the Roofs of other Buildings at the Berry Head, Torbay, the whole of which, it is apprehended, will be within reach of the Contingent Sums asked for those Services in the present year and which if now repaired, may be the means of preventing further Damages..." [106]

A "List of all the Houses or Apartments belonging to the Ordnance in Charge of the Engineer Department at Plymouth, and by whom the same are occupied" drawn up on March 24 includes a "Shed at the Berry Head...Built while the Works at this Place were carrying on and the Foreman in Charge of the Works [lives] there.... [it has not] independent of the Common Fixtures....been provided with any Furniture whatever, at the Expense of the Public." [107]

The final stages in the completion of the forts are recorded in a document of April 4, "Account of Expense incurred...,in Building....Repairing and Making Fortifications....between 1st June 1803 and 5th January 1809." It lists "Contingent Repairs from 1st June to 31st Decr







0 ¼




















9 ½

1st to 5th January 1809



9 ¾

Relaying Wood Platforms on the different Batteries which had been taken up in consequence of the late Peace



7 ¾

Scarping Rock & Erecting a Garde Faux, & Line of Musquetry on the Flank of the Line No. 3.



3 ½

Repairing Wood Platforms of Batteries at the Line No. 3








The final scrap of information concerning the construction is given in a "Statement of the Number of Powder Magazines in the Plymouth Division,." of July 7 1810, which states that both the Berry Head magazines were built by day work. [109] With the completion of the Hospital the Berry Head complex was finished. Mercer made a report on it on March 31 1811 ; this does not survive among the fortification reports, but the plan of Fort No.3 which accompanied it has been preserved. [110]

69 PLY I/2/12

70 PRO WO 55 797

71 PRO WO 55 797

72 PRO WO 55 797

73 DRM 1335

74 PLY I/2/12

75 PRO WO 78 MPH 381 (fair copy) Mercer's autograph copy is MPH 400.

76 DRO 96 add M/LL1-3

77 PLY I/2/12

78 PLY I/2/12, also PLY O/1/8

79 PRO WO 55 797

80 BH p.15

81 DRM 1190

82 PRO WO 55 797

83 PLY I/2/12

84 PLY I/2/12

85 PLY I/2/13

86 PRO WO 55 797

87 PLY I/2/13

88 PLY I/2/13

89 PLY O/1/9

90 PRO WO 55 797

91 PRO WO 55 797

92 PLY O/1/10

93 PLY O/1/10

94 PLY O/1/10

95 PLY I/2/15

96 PLY O/1/10

97 PRO WO 55 797

98 PLY O/1/11 See PLY 1/2/15 for letter from Morse.

99 PRO WO 55 797

100 PLY I/2/15

101 PLY O/1/11

102 PLY I/2/15

103 PLY I/2/15

104 PLY O/1/11

105 PLY O/1/11

106 PLY O/1/11

107 PLY O/1/11

108 PLY O/1/11

109 PLY O/1/11

110 PRO WO 78 MPH 233

© copyright Torbay Library Services

Return to: The History of the Berry Head Fortifications Part 6 details